- 1Relating to or denoting the second epoch of the Tertiary period, between the Palaeocene and Oligocene epochs.More example sentences
- It includes the Palaeocene, Eocene, and Oligocene epochs, spanning the time from the end of the Mesozoic to the beginning of the Neogene.
- An early Cretaceous to late Eocene volcanic arc was located in the present-day Central Depression.
- Western Ecuador consists of a complex tectonic melange of oceanic terranes accreted to the continental margin from Late Cretaceous to Eocene time.
The Eocene epoch lasted from 56.5 to 35.4 million years ago. It was a time of rising temperatures, and there was an abundance of mammals, including the first horses, bats, and whales
mid 19th century: from Greek ēōs 'dawn' + kainos 'new'.
More definitions of EoceneDefinition of Eocene in:
- The US English dictionary