Definition of Estonian in English:
Relating to Estonia or its people or their language.
- The first book in the Estonian language was produced in 1525.
- Sightseeing round the old town later on, they encountered a group of Estonian skinheads coming the other way.
- One of the most interesting upcoming events is the visit from Estonian animator Priit Parn on September 27.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Estonia, or a person of Estonian descent.
- Four groups of people lived peacefully side-by-side, Estonians, Russians, German and Jews.
- We talk to Finns, Estonians and various other Europeans.
- Other ethnic groups often found in Latvia include Belarussians, Estonians, Germans, Gypsies, Jews, Lithuanians, Poles, and Ukrainians.
2 [mass noun] The Finno-Ugric language of Estonia, which is closely related to Finnish and is spoken by about a million people.
- He writes his own lyrics, but it's virtually impossible to say in what language as he borrows words from Estonian, Finnish, and even throws in his own made-up vocabulary.
- Instead, it is more like Finnish, Estonian, and a few languages spoken in remote parts of Russia.
- Deterred by the prospect of finding interpreters who could deal with such combinations as Portuguese to Estonian or Finnish to Slovene, Brussels ruled new translators only need to render documents into English, French and German.
Definition of Estonian in:
- US English dictionary