Definition of European in English:
1Relating to or characteristic of Europe or its inhabitants: twentieth-century European art the culture and history of the European peoples
More example sentences
- We Europeans may take Palestinian land to give it to former European inhabitants, the Jews.
- Today Walter sounds like an American, whereas Henry has a characteristic European accent.
- Shortly thereafter, French missionaries became the first European inhabitants of the island.
1.1Relating to the European Union: a single European currency
More example sentences
- Under capitalism European unification means the domination of the continent by the strongest imperialist powers.
- I'm voting Green in the European elections and Lib Dem in the locals.
- But the idea of working with European partners on foreign policy and security issues is gaining favor.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Europe.
- He compares the Palestinians at the time to Native Americans when Europeans first showed up in North America.
- For example, both Native Americans and Europeans used awls to produce clothing, bags, and leggings.
- The second part focuses on the ways that Native Americans and Europeans adjusted to this new commerce.
1.1A national of a state belonging to the European Union.
- It also encompasses interactions with Europeans and national and regional officials and institutions.
- A fetac Award is like a passport with national and most importantly, as Europeans, international recognition.
- To Americans, the national flag has a depth of meaning that Europeans find hard to understand.
1.3A person of European parentage.
- Coffee companies don't belong to Ugandans, they belong to white Europeans, to muzungus.
- It is surprising that another emotive word like tribe is still used to describe ethnic groupings in Africa when Europeans are called nationals.
- The gap between African Americans and Europeans continues to grow throughout the schooling process.
- Example sentences
- Political isolation and half-hearted Europeanism will also wreak havoc with our attempts to reform the European Central Bank, the common agricultural policy and the union itself.
- A new pan-eastern Europeanism seemingly supplies America's greatest metropolis with its negative libidinal forces.
- To bring my meanderings back to the topic of British politics, this either France or America mentality would be fatal to the success of the cause of Europeanism in the UK.
Words that rhyme with EuropeanActaeon, Aegean, aeon (US eon), Augean, Behan, Cadmean, Caribbean, Carolean, Chaldean, Cyclopean, empyrean, epicurean, Fijian, Galilean, Hasmonean, Hebridean, Herculean, Ian, Jacobean, Kampuchean, Laodicean, lien, Linnaean (US Linnean), Maccabean, Mandaean (US Mandean), Medicean, monogenean, Nabataean (US Nabatean), Orphean, paean, paeon, pean, peon, Periclean, piscean, plebeian, Pyrenean, Pythagorean, Sabaean, Sadducean, Sisyphean, skean, Tanzanian, Tennesseean, Terpsichorean, theodicean, Tyrolean
Definition of European in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan