noun (plural same or Evenkis)
- 1A member of an indigenous people living scattered through the wastes of northern Siberia. Also called Tungus.More example sentences
- Chapters one and eight frame the project, which is essentially a close examination of how Soviet power both made and unmade state subjects among the Evenki.
- Grounded in fieldwork done in 1988-89 and 1993-95, the study centres on Evenki associated with the ‘Red Star’ reindeer-herding collective farm at the village of Katonga (roughly 500 miles slightly northeast of Krasnoiarsk).
- Mengo highlighted the Russian peoples of that region - the Koryaks, Itelmen, Chuckhi, Evenki and Aleut - with their drumming, theatre and song.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Evenki or their language.More example sentences
- It is particularly good on the disconnection between Evenki clan order and Russia's attempts to institutionalize iasak (tribute payments).
- The fireball would have stretched high into the sky, and the local Evenki tribesman must have thought that the world was coming to an end.
More definitions of EvenkiDefinition of Evenki in:
- The US English dictionary