noun[mass noun] • informal
- Anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere, often aroused by posts seen on a social media website: I realized I was a lifelong sufferer of FOMOMore example sentences
- Get yourself a ticket rather than deal with the guaranteed FOMO you'll experience later.
- Constant real-time awareness - through Facebook check-ins and Twitter updates - of the fun everyone is having can spark the instant insecurity of FOMO, or fear of missing out.
- If you didn't see it this week, the oft-cited current cultural trend "FOMO", fear of missing out, will get you tuning in next week.
early 21st century: abbreviation of fear of missing out.
More definitions of FOMODefinition of FOMO in:
- The US English dictionary