Definition of French bean in English:
1A tropical American bean plant of which many varieties are commercially cultivated.
- Phaseolus vulgaris, family Leguminosae: many varieties, including the haricot bean and the kidney bean
- That goes for his broad beans, his French beans, his runner beans, his leeks and his lettuces.
- My plan for this year's vegetable plot is therefore rather limited, involving lots of legumes - broad beans, runner beans, French beans and climbing French beans.
- In addition to French beans and runner beans, Turner grows a number of Heritage varieties, ideal in an organic garden as they are more resistant to pests than modern beans.
1.1The seed of the French bean plant used as food.
- All main courses are served with vegetables, which included French beans and carrots, all expertly handled.
- I have spent a busy summer making jam, cutting up runner beans and French beans for the freezer.
- Unfortunately the same could not be said of Jayne's dish - vegetable pancake, filled with spinach, leeks and cream cheese and served with new potatoes, French beans and salad.