noun[usually treated as singular]
- A contagious viral disease, with symptoms like mild measles. It can cause fetal malformation if caught in early pregnancy. Also called rubella.More example sentences
- We have a tradition of associating diseases (often wrongly) with foreign parts - Dutch elm disease, German measles, Spanish flu.
- A survey of immunity in Australian pre-school children has found higher than expected levels of antibodies to measles and German measles (rubella).
- By eleven, he had developed asthma, contracted German measles, suffered from bronchitis, and had his appendix removed.
More definitions of German measlesDefinition of German measles in:
- The US English dictionary