- A country of West Africa, with its southern coastline bordering on the Atlantic Ocean; population 23,887,800 (est. 2009); languages, English (official), West African languages; capital, Accra. Former name (until 1957) Gold Coast.
Formerly a centre of the slave trade, the area became the British colony of Gold Coast in 1874. In 1957 it was the first British colony to gain independence as a member of the Commonwealth, under the leadership of Kwame Nkrumah
- More example sentences
- Many Ghanaians can no longer afford the cost of clean drinking water, and according to the country's Ministry of Health 70% of all disease in the country is water related.
- A recent poll shows Ghanaians are more optimistic than most Africans about their future prospects.
- It was the name and logo of two short-lived Ghanaian periodicals.
Pronunciation: /gɑːˈneɪən/adjective & noun
More definitions of GhanaDefinition of Ghana in:
- The US English dictionary