- An apple of a large variety having yellow, red-streaked skin. It is widely grown in North America, where it is used for cooking and as a dessert apple.More example sentences
- It's hard to improve on 20 million Sonoma County apples, but one man manages to do it, transforming Gravensteins and other varieties into light, tasty alcoholic cider.
- You can pick up fresh Gravensteins as well as Jonathan, Delicious, Rome Beauty, and other apple varieties directly from the farms or from the Sunday morning farmers' market downtown.
- ‘‘Gravenstein’ apples are unsurpassed for aroma and flavor when allowed to fully ripen, ‘says a grower.
early 19th century: the German form of Graasten, a village in Denmark formerly in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.
More definitions of GravensteinDefinition of Gravenstein in:
- The US English dictionary