noun (plural same or Guanches)
- A member of an aboriginal people speaking a Berber language who formerly inhabited the Canary Islands.More example sentences
- The native population of the Canary Islands were the Guanches, a white race, vigorous, of high stature, fair-haired and blue-eyed, and leading mostly a pastoral life.
- Rather closer to home the Spanish also destroyed much of the culture of the Guanches, native inhabitants of the Canary Islands and descendants of the Berbers from nearby North Africa.
- I uncovered this when I headed inland and to see the legendary Totem rocks which date back to the island's original inhabitants, the Guanches.
More definitions of GuancheDefinition of Guanche in:
- The US English dictionary