(also Heimlich procedure)
- A first-aid procedure for dislodging an obstruction from a person’s windpipe in which a sudden strong pressure is applied on their abdomen, between the navel and the ribcage.More example sentences
- I got round the back of him and did the Heimlich manoeuvre.
- His mum was patting him on the back and had to give him the Heimlich manoeuvre.
- Then I'll show him the Heimlich manoeuvre and teach him the green cross code.
1970s: named after Henry J. Heimlich (born 1920), the American doctor who developed the procedure.
More definitions of Heimlich manoeuvreDefinition of Heimlich manoeuvre in:
- The US English dictionary