Definition of Hellene in English:
1An ancient Greek.
- The ancient Greeks called themselves the Hellenes.
- These people were ‘kin to the Hellenes, the Italiots, the Celts, the Germanic peoples and the Slavs'.
- I wouldn't go as far as to suggest that the Romans were nothing but a copy of the Greeks - that would be tantamount to asserting the genius of the Hellenes and imitative nature of the Romans.
1.1A native of modern Greece (chiefly in the title of the exiled royal family): the King of the Hellenes
More example sentences
- They have always called themselves Hellenes and Greece is Hellas.
- By 1975, both the King and Queen of the Hellenes and the Greek Line ship Queen Anna Maria would be driven out of Greece - the monarchs by political upheaval and the Queen Anna Maria by financial troubles.
- Then there is the youngest of the three princesses, Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes.
Words that rhyme with Hellenephilhellene
Definition of Hellene in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.