- Clothing in the traditional style of the Scottish Highlands, now chiefly worn on formal occasions and including the kilt.More example sentences
- The only rig permitted at most of the Highland balls is white tie or Highland dress.
- One of his favourite memories, he says, was ‘when my dad marched Sonny through the streets of Glasgow in full Highland dress.’
- Although Highland dress was proscribed in the wake of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion, it returned with a vengeance in the 19th century.
More definitions of Highland dressDefinition of Highland dress in:
- The US English dictionary