Definition of Himyarite in English:
A member of an ancient people of the SW part of the Arabian peninsula, who ruled much of southern Arabia before the 6th century ad.
- In Arabia, whole tribes converted to Judaism, including two kinds of the Himyarites.
- The Himyarites had by this time formed an alliance with the Persians and defeated the Ethiopian invaders.
- The monuments of these Himyarites were inscribed with an obsolete and mysterious alphabet.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Himyarites.
- Yet the kingdom was not Jewish, and its monotheism was but an expression of Himyarite independence.
- The town leaders climbed down the well next to where the Himyarite castle used to be in the walled city.
- A number of ancient empires, including the Minaean, Sabaean, and Himyarite, flourished in southern Yemen.
from the name Himyar (the name of a traditional king of Yemen) + -ite1.
Definition of Himyarite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia