Definition of Hmong in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living in isolated mountain villages throughout SE Asia. Also called Miao.
- It is found in many Japanese, in the Tibetans of the Himalayas and among isolated people of Southeast Asia, like the Hmong.
- The exact number of Hmong students is not available for the UW System, but the majority of the Southeast Asian students are Hmong.
- Minority groups in this small, mountainous country include the Mon-Khmer, the Yao, and the Hmong.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Hmong, occurring in a large number of highly distinct dialects.
- The L1 writing prompts were translated by bilingual teaching professionals whose native languages were Spanish, Hmong, and Russian.
- Participants from the younger generations noted that they have difficulty speaking Hmong without using English.
- It turns out that this is a spelling of what is more usually written as Hmong.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the Hmong or their language.
- Some of the figures are even clinging to cut pieces of bamboo, seemingly recreating the tragic legend of the lost Hmong language.
- Participants felt that a generational shift in Hmong language and culture might be occurring for various reasons.
- Participants also had varying feelings about the Hmong language shifting.
Definition of Hmong in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan