Definition of Holy Writ in English:
- It has been a sign of heresy to reject or ignore any part or portion of Holy Writ.
- Only those entering holy orders were allowed to study theology and delve into Holy Writ.
- This, surely, was one of Luther's greatest contributions, that of the democracy of the word: he translated the Bible into German, giving his humbler countrymen not only the chance to read Holy Writ, but also the tools of thought.
1.1Writings or sayings of unchallenged authority: research findings and conclusions are guidelines, not holy writ
More example sentences
- And the media should stop treating clever but flawed scholarship as if it were Holy Writ, especially if an academic argument seems to question the patriotism of good people.
- He had read the diet book and, as is his custom, was preaching it as Holy Writ to anyone who was either A) willing to listen or B) too polite to flee.
- The theory of evolution is now being treated like Holy Writ.
Definition of Holy Writ in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan