Definition of Hymenoptera in English:
1A large order of insects that includes the bees, wasps, ants, and sawflies. They have four transparent wings and the females typically have a sting.
- They frequently feed on Hymenoptera (bees, wasps and ants), Diptera (true flies), Hemiptera (true bugs) and Coleoptera (beetles).
- They belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, sawflies, and ichneumons.
- Lepidoptera, Coleoptera and Hymenoptera were the most represented orders in terms of the number of species observed.
1.1 (hymenoptera) Insects of the order Hymenoptera: hive bees and other hymenoptera
More example sentences
- Patterson's early work on polyembryonic hymenoptera was almost forgotten for 75 years.
- The hymenoptera comprise a continuum from solitary life to tightly-structured family groups.
- Such social hymenoptera may live together in nests or hives of many thousands of individuals, all descended form a single queen.
Definition of Hymenoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan