Definition of Hymenoptera in English:
1A large order of insects that includes the bees, wasps, ants, and sawflies. They have four transparent wings and the females typically have a sting.
- They frequently feed on Hymenoptera (bees, wasps and ants), Diptera (true flies), Hemiptera (true bugs) and Coleoptera (beetles).
- They belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes bees, wasps, sawflies, and ichneumons.
- Lepidoptera, Coleoptera and Hymenoptera were the most represented orders in terms of the number of species observed.
1.1 (hymenoptera) Insects of the order Hymenoptera: hive bees and other hymenoptera
More example sentences
- Patterson's early work on polyembryonic hymenoptera was almost forgotten for 75 years.
- The hymenoptera comprise a continuum from solitary life to tightly-structured family groups.
- Such social hymenoptera may live together in nests or hives of many thousands of individuals, all descended form a single queen.
Definition of Hymenoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.