noun (plural same or Ijos)
- 1A member of a people inhabiting the Niger delta in southern Nigeria.More example sentences
- Before long, other oil-yielding peoples, such as the Ijaws, Itsekiris, and Ondos, were launching their own campaigns.
- The principal ethnic groups in the oil-yielding communities are the Ogonis, the Ijaws, and the Itsekiris.
- The Egbesu mainly represent the Ijaws, the fourth largest ethnic group, and operate in the oil-rich Niger Delta.
- 2 [mass noun] The language of the Ijo, an isolated member of the Niger-Congo family with several highly distinct dialects.More example sentences
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Ijo or their language.More example sentences
- Local media said 12 Ijaw youths and two navy men died, although this could not be confirmed.
- The actions of the Itsekiri and Ijaw women are a reminder of the uselessness of token measures adopted by succeeding governments to redress the inequalities so manifest in the oil-producing states.
- Last week, suspected Itsekiri militants ambushed a boat carrying 10 Ijaw civilians to market in Warri, killing at least one of them.