Definition of Ijo in English:
noun (plural same or Ijos)
1A member of a people inhabiting the Niger delta in southern Nigeria.
- Before long, other oil-yielding peoples, such as the Ijaws, Itsekiris, and Ondos, were launching their own campaigns.
- The principal ethnic groups in the oil-yielding communities are the Ogonis, the Ijaws, and the Itsekiris.
- The Egbesu mainly represent the Ijaws, the fourth largest ethnic group, and operate in the oil-rich Niger Delta.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Ijo, an isolated member of the Niger-Congo family with several highly distinct dialects.
- English is the official language; however, Yoruba, Ibo, and Hausa represent the principal languages, joined by Kanuri, Fulani, Nupe, Tiv, Edo, Ijaw and Ibibio.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Ijo or their language.
- Local media said 12 Ijaw youths and two navy men died, although this could not be confirmed.
- The actions of the Itsekiri and Ijaw women are a reminder of the uselessness of token measures adopted by succeeding governments to redress the inequalities so manifest in the oil-producing states.
- Last week, suspected Itsekiri militants ambushed a boat carrying 10 Ijaw civilians to market in Warri, killing at least one of them.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan