Definition of Jivaro in English:
noun (plural same or Jivaros)
1A member of an indigenous people living widely scattered throughout the Amazon jungle.
- In his piece he discussed his research trips to the Jivaros, an Amazonian tribe in Ecuador.
- Gift-giving is also important among the Jivaro.
- Harner's book ‘Way of the Shaman’ is a good read though, and the Jivaro journeying method is a useful technique to experiment with.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Jivaro or their language.
- Dogs hold a privileged position in Jivaro households.
- Next to him is a quite authentic Jivaro blow-gun originating with the people who used to make fully functional shrunken heads.
- In contrast, consider the Jivaro peoples of Peru / Ecuador.
From Spanish jíbaro, probably from the local name Shuara, Shiwora.
Jivaroan adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The Jivaro speak Jivaroan, which has many dialects.
Words that rhyme with JivaroDevereux • overthrow
Definition of Jivaro in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan