Definition of Lamaism in English:
The system of doctrine and observances inculcated and maintained by lamas; Tibetan Buddhism.
- The main religion is Lamaism, which is the Yellow Sect of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Chinese officials did, however, try to conciliate the nomads by promoting Tibetan Lamaism, the religion of the Mongols.
- In some pastoral areas, the Ewenki believe in Lamaism, the Tibetan form of Buddhism adopted by the majority of Mongols.
- Example sentences
- The Chinese Emperor was the highest patron of Lamaist Buddhism - a concept which allowed the Emperor to think of the Dalai Lama as his client, and the Dalai Lama to think of the Emperor as his disciple.
- Scroll paintings called tanka that depicted the various gods and saints of Lamaist Buddhism decorated every temple.
- There is also a religious justification for the ban in this staunchly Lamaist Buddhist kingdom.
Pronunciation: /ˈlɑːməɪst/noun& adjective
Definition of Lamaism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.