Definition of Latvian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Latvia.
- The regime aimed to transform the country into a typical Soviet one, and many native Latvians were deported and Russians brought in to help achieve this.
- The attack was complemented in the west by attacks from nationalities hitherto under Russian control, i.e. Finns, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, and Poles.
- At this time native Estonians and Latvians were beginning to settle in the towns, and from this new class there emerged nationalist and revolutionary groups.
2 [mass noun] The official language of Latvia, which belongs to the Baltic branch of the Indo-European family and has about 1.5 million speakers.
- The new Latvian government reinstated Latvian as the official language.
- The show includes 120 displays of photographs, documents, relics and texts in four languages - English, Latvian, French and Welsh.
- Amidst the Babel-like diversity, Brother Wolfgang spoke alternately in German and in English, while others translated into Latvian, French, Italian and Dutch.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Latvia or its language.
- By the 1980s, Latvian language and culture were on the verge of extinction, and some drastic measures were needed to galvanise them after independence.
- In free Latvia, state money has been used to restore cemeteries where Latvian SS soldiers are buried, and museums recording the occupation from 1940 to 1990 have been established.
- The company has already received inquiries from businesses as far away as Scotland interested in recruiting Latvian workers through the company's Riga office.
Words that rhyme with LatvianYugoslavian
Definition of Latvian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan