Definition of Lepidoptera in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the butterflies and moths. They have four large scale-covered wings that bear distinctive markings, and larvae that are caterpillars.
- Butterflies and moths make up the biological order Lepidoptera.
- The insect order Lepidoptera, with as many as 100,000 species, is second only to the Coleoptera, the beetles.
- Both of these insects reside in the order Lepidoptera.
1.1 (lepidoptera) Insects of the order Lepidoptera: the larvae of a number of lepidoptera feed on the leaves
More example sentences
- Spying it on a map, I imagined meadows full of pretty winged lepidoptera.
- Defoliation by lepidoptera can induce cyanogenesis in some plants resulting in cyanide levels high enough to kill cattle.
- Small flowers and red petals suggest pollination by small diptera or lepidoptera, but the flowers do not appear to produce nectar.
lepidopteran adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- It in fact is toxic to only a particular group of lepidopteran insects and particularly cotton bollworms.
- These include various lepidopterans and the African grasshopper, which adopt aposematic coloring as a warning.
- Big-eyed bugs are omnivorous, generalist predators and their diverse range of prey species includes aphids and lepidopteran eggs.
Definition of Lepidoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan