- A light air-cooled machine gun with a magazine operated by gas from its own firing, used mainly in the First World War.More example sentences
- As well as the Vickers machine gun, the British used the Hotchkiss and the Lewis gun.
- A group selected from the three battalions of the Dublin Brigade captured 25 rifles, two Lewis guns and a large quantity of ammunition, without suffering or causing any casualties.
- As the battle reached its climax the submariners continued to fight off their attackers with a handful of rifles and a Lewis gun.
early 20th century: named after its inventor, Isaac N. Lewis (1858–1931), a colonel in the US army.
More definitions of Lewis gunDefinition of Lewis gun in:
- The US English dictionary