- An early form of capacitor consisting of a glass jar with layers of metal foil on the outside and inside.More example sentences
- The Leyden jar is a primitive capacitor, first used for containing electrical spirits and demons by Rabbi Levi of Prague in the sixteenth century.
- One experimenter described to the Royal Society an encounter with a Leyden jar - a primitive capacitor - that left him with a bleeding nose and ‘a heaviness in my head, as if I had a stone lying upon it’.
- It is easy to imagine Ben Franklin practicing abduction when he first witnessed a spark discharge from the Leyden jars in which he had stored large electric charges.
mid 18th century: named after Leyden (see Leiden), where it was invented (1745).
More definitions of Leyden jarDefinition of Leyden jar in:
- The US English dictionary