Definition of Lunda in English:
noun (plural same or Balunda baˈlʊndəbaˈluːndə or Lundas)
1A member of any of several peoples living mainly in northern Zambia and adjoining parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire) and Angola.
- Whenever the Lundas held their ceremony, the Luvales would not be anywhere near the event, and like the Luvales when the Lundas were observing theirs; all this to avoid the risk of fighting.
- And true to the words in the song, Lundas are a people who are proud of their rich cultural heritage which they have preserved in song, forklore and traditional ceremonies.
- His successor Frederick Chiluba was only a fluent Bemba speaker but is in fact a Lunda from Luapula Province.
2 [mass noun] Any of several Bantu languages of the Lunda, especially one spoken by about 200,000 people mainly in NW Zambia.
- Chisemwa Cha Lunda ceremony is held annually to accord Lunda speaking people a chance to display their cultural heritage.
- The papers - Imbila, a Bemba production, Ngoma in Lunda, Luvale and Kaonde, Intanda in Tonga, Lukanga in Lenje and Liseli in Lozi and Tsopano in Nyanja - should help fill the information gap in rural areas.
- The local names are Mpulumba in Bemba and Lunda, Pulumba in Luvale and Ipumbulu in Tabwa.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the Lunda or their language.
- In this version, Lunda began when a wandering hunter from Luba named Cibinda Ilunga met and eventually married Lweji, a Lunda princess, and they in turn founded the great empire.
- The government has begun a second phase of the operation, concentrating on the two Lunda provinces, north and south, Malanje and Kwanza South.
- The Lunda ruler, unwilling to clarify the situation, sent his daughter Lweji to rule Chavuma.
A local name.
Definition of Lunda in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan