- A phytogeographical region comprising the Azores, Madeira, the Canary Islands, and the Cape Verde Islands in the eastern North Atlantic.More example sentences
- The flora of Macaronesia, which encompasses five Atlantic archipelagos (Azores, Canaries, Madeira, Cape Verde, and Salvage), is exceptionally rich and diverse.
- Only in Macaronesia, protected by the Atlantic Ocean, did they survive.
- More example sentences
- Differences in C-values between major angiosperm lineages of Macaronesian plants were analysed using the GLM procedure because of an unbalanced design.
- Many of these taxa belong to the Macaronesian bryophyte flora, which includes more than 600 species, some of them with worldwide enigmatic distributions.
- Further, a recent introduction from the Mediterranean Sea to the Macaronesian region via human-mediated transport was inferred.
from Greek makarōn nēsoi 'islands of the Blessed' (mythical islands later associated with the Canaries).
More definitions of MacaronesiaDefinition of Macaronesia in:
- The US English dictionary