Definition of Madurese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of the island of Madura in Indonesia.
- Ali Mumin, a Madurese who has been living in Bali for 10 years, said Idul Fitri celebrations on the island were still less joyous than in his hometown.
- There are many Kalimantan people living in East Java and there are many East Javanese, including Madurese, living in Kalimantan.
- The range of ethnic groups is vast but the principal ones are: Malay, Javanese, Sundanese, Madurese, Balinese, Ambon.
2 [mass noun] An Indonesian language spoken by over 12 million people in Madura and nearby parts of Java.
- The main language of Madura is Madurese, which is also spoken in part of eastern Java and on many of the 66 outlying islands.
- The three major languages spoken on Java are Javanese, Sundanese and Madurese.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the inhabitants of Madura or their language.
- While their menfolk were at sea, Madurese women made batik at home; this is the familiar story about Madurese batik.
- Born in Malang of Madurese parents, Rizza was the fifth of nine children.
- The Madurese settlers are just a small part of the population among the Dayak, Malay and Chinese communities of Kalimantan.
Definition of Madurese in:
- US English dictionary