Definition of Makonde in English:
noun (plural same or Makondes)
1A member of a people inhabiting southern Tanzania and NE Mozambique.
- He saw a photograph of a sculpture by the Makonde of East Africa.
- Farther north are the Makonde near the coast and the Yao near Lake Malawi.
- One of the most important events in the life of a Makonde was initiation.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Makonde or their language.
- Nonetheless, in speaking to the world beyond, Makonde carvers employ a language of images grounded in their unique historical experience.
- These artists came to enjoy privileged status in Makonde society as demand grew within the church for their work.
- A white-jacketed Makonde waiter brought plates mounded with chicken and rice cooked over a fire.
the name in Makonde.
Definition of Makonde in:
- US English dictionary