An order of insects that comprises the biting lice. See also Phthiraptera.
More example sentences
- We found feather mites and feather lice (Mallophaga) on all species of birds and at every site.
- If that were also the case in Barn Swallows, individuals with a high parasite load would have to increase their foraging efficiency through an increase in flapping flight to balance the extra metabolic cost due to Mallophaga.
- However, none of the birds in our sample suffered from feather breakage when filmed, and effects of Mallophaga on flight behavior through breakage can therefore be excluded as an explanation for our results.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek mallos 'lock of wool' + -phagos 'eating'.
- More example sentences
- While these mouthparts are not primarily designed to pierce skin some mallophagans do feed on blood.
- Mites and mallophagan lice should be preserved and stored in 70% isopropyl alcohol.
- The head of the mallophagan is wider than the prothorax.
Definition of Mallophaga in:
- The US English dictionary