Definition of Mandaean in English:
1A member of a Gnostic sect of Iraq and SW Iran, who regard John the Baptist as the Messiah and stress salvation through knowledge of the divine origin of the soul.
- There is even a group of Mandaeans: theirs is a tiny Gnostic sect.
- The Government has informed the tribunal that Mandaeans are discriminated against but not persecuted.
- Not surprisingly, a number of Mandaeans have fled to Australia, where they're not finding life a lot easier.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mandaeans or their language.
- At Yardenit in Israel, there is a major baptism site on the river which attracts Greek and Russian Orthodox Pilgrims and the Mandean people of the only surviving Gnostic religion.
- Even in modern day Sydney, Aramaic dialects are used by the local Assyrian and Mandaean communities.
- Jews, Christians, even the Mandaean gnostic sect of the Sabeans, are all granted freedom to practice and to live in peace.
late 19th century: from Mandaean Aramaic mandaia 'Gnostics, those who have knowledge' (from manda 'knowledge') + -an.
Definition of Mandaean in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan