Definition of Manipuri in English:
noun (plural same or Manipuris)
1A native or inhabitant of Manipur.
- As a result Manipuris, Nagas and Mizos are often asked if they are Chinese, Japanese or from some other Southeast Asian country.
- As the Manipuris get on with their daily life, Sharmila, now called the ‘iron lady’, may soon be forgotten.
- During an interaction session, she listed various aspects of the dance in relation to the day-to-day life of the Manipuris.
2 [mass noun] The official language of Manipur, which belongs to the Tibeto-Burman family.
- International productions are a huge attraction but so are plays in languages from Manipuri to Malayalam.
- This year - the 19th in the Festival's history - audiences can look forward to plays in Oriya, Panjabi, Manipuri, Urdu and Tamil, besides Bengali and Hindi.
- Textbooks and other, materials often don't get prepared in other languages like Manipuri.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the people of Manipur or their language.
- Thiyam draws from the beauty of the North East to interpret Kalidasa's ancient verses in a play in Manipuri that uses a riot of colours and the tiny, precise movements of Manipuri dance to present a taut and structured extravagance.
- Manipuri students perform the ‘Pavgal Jogai’ dance at the Youth Festival.
- What provoked the Manipuri women to protest in this unheard of manner was the custodial death of a 32-year-old Manipuri woman.
Definition of Manipuri in:
- US English dictionary