Definition of Martini in English:
1 [mass noun] trademark A type of vermouth produced in Italy.
- Pour in Martini & Rossi dry vermouth until the glass is one third full.
- Faulkner orders double shots of Martini and Rossi Sweet Vermouth.
- ‘He had drunk a litre of vodka, half a bottle of Martini and alcopops, too,’ she said.
2A cocktail made from gin (or vodka) and dry vermouth, typically garnished with an olive or a twist of lemon.
- We sell more Cuervo Gold Margaritas and house Martinis from our own cocktail list than anything.
- But much as I like Martinis, Manhattans and Negronis, there are several reasons I find myself returning to the sweet and sour category of drinks.
- Today, the fight is to be noticed, and Margaritas, Mojitos, and Martinis are the beverage weapons of choice.
Late 19th century: named after Martini and Rossi, an Italian firm selling vermouth.
Definition of Martini in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.