Definition of Mayan in English:
A large family of American Indian languages spoken in Central America and Mexico, of which the chief members are Maya, Quiché, and Tzeltal.
- When Monteczuma's envoys came to Tabasco to find out information about Cortes, they spoke only Nahuatl while Cortes's Spanish translator spoke only Mayan.
- With songs in Spanish, English, Mayan, and Zapotec, it reflects the babel of voices that is our ever-expanding border region.
- The movie will definitely be performed in Mayan, an ancient pre-Colombian language.
adjectiveBack to top
1Denoting or relating to the Mayan family of languages.
- At the time it wasn't clear which of the many Mayan languages this might refer to, but now the situation has been clarified - sort of - by Gibson himself.
- Language issues can be intimately linked with assimilation, as children sometimes reject both their Mayan language and customs.
- We are Mayan people; we speak twenty-two different Mayan languages.
2Relating to or denoting the Maya people.
- Further, the program had gained acceptance from dozens of Mayan communities.
- Maya Gold is produced using cocoa grown by Mayan farmers in Toledo, an impoverished jungle region of southern Belize.
- The great Mayan cities were all built around cenote and the Maya regarded them as sacred.
Definition of Mayan in:
- US English dictionary