- A group of mammals that comprises the marsupials. Compare with Eutheria.
More example sentences
- Infraclass Metatheria, subclass Theria
- Yet the teeth of deltatheroidans are of remarkably primitive construction; if they are related to marsupials, an extremely early divergence of Metatheria and Eutheria is implied.
- These evolutionary ties between the South American Microbiotheriidae and the Australian marsupials help to illuminate the biogeographic history of the Metatheria.
- The data presented here encompassed 5 Metatheria (order Didelphimorphia) and 62 Eutheria: 15 Xenarthra, 24 Euarchontoglires, as well as 23 Laurasiatheria (22 Chiroptera and 1 species from Perissodactyla).
modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + Greek thēria, plural of thērion 'wild animal'.
More definitions of MetatheriaDefinition of Metatheria in:
- The US English dictionary