- 1A major division of the animal kingdom that comprises all animals other than protozoans and sponges. They are multicellular animals with differentiated tissues.
More example sentences
- Subkingdom Metazoa, kingdom Animalia
- Not only Metazoa, but other multicellular clades such as Fungii and Metaphyta, must also be organized so that their basic body parts-differentiated cell types-are assembled into a hierarchy of functional associations.
- Now, based on the study with protein molecules, Fungi are regarded as the nearest-neighbor kingdom of the Metazoa, a conclusion which is supported by others.
- Belt desmosomes are the constituent character of the Epitheliazoa, the next higher taxon above the Porifera within the Metazoa, comprising the taxa Placozoa and Eumetazoa.
- 1.1 (metazoa) Animals of the Metazoa division.More example sentences
- These results suggest that insulin-like genes have coevolved with the appearance of the metazoa (multicellular animals with differentiated tissues).
- Cnidarians may be informative about body plan evolution in the metazoa both because of what they share with bilaterians and what they lack.
- Consider the possibility that the destruction of the Drosophila model will prove generally true, if not for all organisms perhaps, then at least for metazoa.
modern Latin (plural), from meta- (expressing change) + Greek zōia (plural of zōion 'animal').
More definitions of MetazoaDefinition of Metazoa in:
- The US English dictionary