noun (plural same or Miskitos)
- 1A member of an American Indian people of the Atlantic coast of Nicaragua and Honduras.More example sentences
- When the Sandinistas tried to relocate the Miskitos away from the war zones, thousands of Miskitos fled to Honduras and Costa Rica to avoid what they felt was mistreatment by the Hispanic Sandinistas.
- The most violent of the anti-Sandinista fighters on the coast were the Miskitos, whose sphere of influence is mainly in the northern Atlantic region.
- Further north, in the forested region between Puerto Cabezas and the Rio Coco, the river that separates Nicaragua from Honduras, the number of armed Miskitos is rising, and is now in the thousands.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Miskito or their language.More example sentences
- In the 1980s, the Nicaraguan government instituted the first bilingual education programs for native people, taught in the Miskito language.
- By the late 1980s, environmentalists and indigenous people's advocates became alarmed that colonization from the south and the interior would eliminate much of the rain forest and threaten the Tawahka and Miskito peoples.
- His organization, Comandante Karnika said under the sweltering sun, is prepared to go to war to defend Miskito land and protect their natural resources.
the name in Miskito.
More definitions of MiskitoDefinition of Miskito in:
- The US English dictionary