Definition of Mixtec in English:
noun (plural same or Mixtecs)
1A member of an American Indian people of southern Mexico, noted for their skill in pottery and metallurgy.
- The sculptures depict the sacred symbolism used in the costumes of the Zapotecs and Mixtecs, two of the main pre-Hispanic societies of Mexico's southern state of Oaxaca.
- The author has produced a work on the Mixtecs of colonial Mexico which rivals the best of that on any of these other better-known and documented groups.
- He argues that the Aztecs and Mixtecs had their own history and their own writing systems and should be understood and appreciated as such without necessary reference to the Old World.
2The Otomanguean language of the Mixtec, spoken by about 250,000 people in several dialects.
- All of these elements are rallied into a cohesive whole, whether she is singing in English, Spanish or any one of four native Indian languages, including the Mixtec of her own background.
- The typical resident is 18 years old, speaks Spanish or Mixtec, and works all day in the blast-furnace desert heat.
- My nephew tried to organize these farmworkers, only to discover that they did not speak Spanish and he spoke no Mixtec.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mixtec or their language.
- Terraciano has a number of distinguished predecessors, among them Ronald Spores, who threw light on many aspects of prehispanic, colonial, and modern Mixtec affairs.
- Terraciano rightly points to the ways in which Christian formulas in Mixtec testaments can mask a most unorthodox Christianity.
- As with the Nahua-speaking Aztecs of central Mexico during the same era, a three-stage scheme of language change seems to fit the Mixtec case.
Spanish, from Nahuatl mixtecah 'person from a cloudy place'.
Words that rhyme with MixtecAztec • Toltec • infotech
Definition of Mixtec in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.