Definition of Mon in English:
noun (plural same or Mons)
1A member of a people now inhabiting parts of SE Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand but having their ancient capital at Pegu in the south of Burma.
- Myanmar has eight major ethnic groups - Bamas, Kayins, Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Kachins, Chins and Kayahs.
- Ethnic Burmese form the majority at 67.4%, and the remainder includes the Shans, Rakhines, Mons, Chins, Kachins and the Kayahs.
- Groups with their own states include the Karens, Chins, Shans, Kayahs, Arakanese, Mons, and Kachins.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Mon, related to Khmer (Cambodian).
- Cambodian, or Khmer, is classified by linguists as an Austro-Asiatic language, related to Mon - a language spoken in Burma and western Thailand.
- The dominant Khmer language belongs to the Austroasiatic language family and is related to Vietnamese, Mon, and a number of other Asian languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Mon or their language. See also Mon-Khmer.
- Halted in its southward move by the Bay of Bengal and the Andaman Sea, Burmese encountered the Mon language.
- Today the Mons have no independent political status and the Mon language is dying out.
- This island is home to a community of Mon people who came here from their homeland in the river Kwai valley north of Kanchanaburi.
the name in Mon.
Definition of Mon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan