Definition of Mongolian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Mongolia.
- Totally distinct from Chinese, the languages of minority groups such as Tibetans, Uighurs and Mongolians are officially recognized and taught in schools.
- While more than 90 percent of China is Han, the country has more than 50 ethnic minorities, including different Muslim groups, Tibetans, Koreans and Mongolians.
- The project would displace 4,000 people, including Tibetans and Mongolians from their grazing lands and water sources.
2 [mass noun] The language of Mongolia, a member of the Altaic family with an unusual vertical cursive script. It has some 2 million speakers, and related forms are spoken by over 3 million people in northern China.
- The Turkmen of Iraq, some 500,000-700,000 strong, speak an Altaic language related to Mongolian and perhaps very distantly to Korean and Japanese.
- Korean is generally thought to belong to the Altaic language family, along with Turkish, Mongolian, Japanese, and other languages.
- Most Mongolians are Buddhist and speak Mongolian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Mongolia, its people, or their language.
- In the local Mongolian language, Lugu means falling into the water.
- But the existence of the Mongolian language still kept me aware of the uniqueness of this nationality.
- Cultural centers and libraries promote the Mongolian language and cultural productions in cities, towns, and even in the pastoral areas.
Words that rhyme with MongolianAeolian, Anatolian, Eolian, Jolyon, napoleon, simoleon
Definition of Mongolian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.