(also Munchausen syndrome)
Definition of Munchausen's syndrome in English:
1A mental disorder in which a person repeatedly feigns severe illness so as to obtain hospital treatment.
- The notes would also have shown that he had Munchausen's syndrome - a mental disorder in which the patient tries to obtain hospital treatment for an illness that does not exist.
- People with Munchausen's syndrome often go from doctor to doctor and gain admission into many hospitals.
- Patients with Munchausen's syndrome - named for an 18 th-century German baron known for his outlandish tales - fake illness to gain attention.
1.1 (Munchausen's syndrome by proxy) A mental disorder in which a person seeks attention by inducing or feigning illness in another person, typically a child.
- Furthermore, the social workers said, Anamarie might be a victim of Munchausen's syndrome by proxy - a psychological disorder that causes parents to harm their children in order to draw attention to themselves.
- Factitious disorder by proxy, also known as Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, is characterized by a caregiver (often a mother) fabricating or inducing illness in her charge in order to attract medical attention.
- Among them was the trial of a nurse diagnosed with Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, who received 13 life sentences for killing four children and injuring nine other patients.
Definition of Munchausen's syndrome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia