Definition of Nama in English:
noun (plural same or Namas)
1A member of one of the Khoikhoi peoples of South Africa and SW Namibia. Traditionally nomadic herders and hunter-gatherers, they were displaced from the region near the Cape by Dutch settlers.
- Who would entertain the idea of the San, Damaras, Namas, Tswanas and Hereros returning to their former land/settlements?
- The new name immediately softens colonial connotations of Luderitz such as the concentration camp for Namas and Herero refugees of the 1904-1908 genocide.
- In a series of genocidal wars from 1904 to 1907, the German military killed three-quarters of the Herero population and nearly one-half the Namas.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Nama, which belongs to the Khoisan family and is the only language of the Khoikhoi peoples still spoken by a substantial number (over 100,000).
- Three men suddenly attacked him from behind, he just heard someone shouting ‘grab him’ in Damara / Nama.
- I could have written this in Damara / Nama, but the intention is for the rest of Namibians to also try and understand that the language is unique in its nature.
- I am sure he is aware that all the towns he mentioned have Damara / Nama names as well as in other languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nama or their language.
- The Nama language is highlighted as relevant and useful in a contemporary world, and brought into the mainstream of cultural discourse.
- So if a woman happens to marry a Damara or Nama man, she replaces the ‘b’ at the end of his surname to a ‘s’.
- No, no one came to help the Herero people except the Nama people, who were fighting their own battles anyway.
the name in Nama.
Definition of Nama in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan