noun (plural same or Narragansetts)
- 1A member of an American Indian people originally of Rhode Island, few of whom now remain.More example sentences
- In March, the western Indians began negotiating for peace while the Wampanoags and Narragansetts returned to their homelands in search of food.
- Later, during King Philip's War, the colonists battled the Narragansetts with the aid of Mohegan fighters.
- This New England minister's wife was captured by Narragansetts in 1676 and held for eleven weeks before she was ransomed, later publishing an account of her experiences.
the name in Narragansett, literally 'people of the promontory'.
More definitions of NarragansettDefinition of Narragansett in:
- The US English dictionary