- A member of any of the indigenous peoples of North and South America and the Caribbean Islands.More example sentences
- Accordingly, it is less common in African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Americans.
- So what if it turns out that lots of other native Americans are not Native Americans either?
- He said one of the most memorable couples he had married were Native Americans, a Blackfoot groom and a Cherokee bride.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Native Americans.More example sentences
- She stated that she is of Native American background (Taino, from Puerto Rico).
- Dome shaped windows are fringed with Native American dream catchers and swathes of bright orange or cream coloured curtains.
- I am a strong Native American man who wants to learn more about my culture and attend Native American sweat lodges.
In the US, Native American is now the current accepted term in many contexts. The term American Indian is still used elsewhere, by American Indians themselves, among others, and is the form used in this dictionary. See American Indian (usage).
More definitions of Native AmericanDefinition of Native American in:
- The US English dictionary