nounAustralian • informal
- 1A person of reckless courage.More example sentences
- I'm not a Ned Kelly and probably no-one you know is that sort of character.
- At Glenferrie Oval, a record crowd of 36,000 shoehorned into the ground known as the Sardine Can to see Ron Barassi, a Ned Kelly figure after leaving Melbourne over summer, make his debut as Carlton's captain-coach.
as game as Ned Kelly
- Audaciously bold.More example sentences
- ‘Good on you Ned’ is a compliment, ‘as game as Ned Kelly’ an old saying.
- We know that by the time of the first world war, there was a saying among the Diggers in the trenches, ‘Oh he was as game as Ned Kelly’.
- From hip to shoulder he was covered with blood from the spur, an’ although he could scarcely raise a trot you could see he was still as game as Ned Kelly.
late 19th century: from the name of Ned Kelly (see Kelly, Ned).
More definitions of Ned KellyDefinition of Ned Kelly in:
- The US English dictionary