Definition of Negritude in English:
1The quality or fact of being of black African origin.
- Perhaps we can make sense of all the things that happen when race and the American mainstream collide by looking at them through an updated idea of negritude; Negritude 2.0, if you will.
- Interpretations of this Ecole have tended to emphasize how the ideological tenets of Negritude determined its iconographic parameters and how the formal characteristics of European modernism informed its stylistic attributes.
- You end up parroting a simplistic vision of Canada where Blackness or Negritude doesn't exist ‘in anything like the way it does down south.’
1.1The affirmation or consciousness of the value of black or African culture and identity: Negritude helped to guide Senegal into independence with pride
More example sentences
- In the French-speaking territories, Negritude was another variant of Pan-Africanism.
- Artists working during the post-independence period pioneered an expressive genre of painting whose distinctive themes and styles were associated with the cultural ideology of Negritude and its promotion by President Senghor.
- In fact, at Algiers, participants called for the demise of Negritude and the birth of national consciousness and arts.
1940s: from French négritude 'blackness'.
Definition of Negritude in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan