noun[usually treated as singular]
- The system of mechanics which relies on Newton’s laws of motion concerning the relations between forces acting and motions occurring.More example sentences
- In the field of physics, a clear line divides quantum mechanics from traditional Newtonian mechanics, but this is not true for chemistry.
- Imbued with a deep appreciation of the entire history of science, Einstein regarded the theory of relativity as the inevitable consequence of the challenge posed to Newtonian mechanics by electromagnetic theory.
- In order to reconcile Maxwell's equations with Newtonian gravity, with Newtonian mechanics, we had to replace Newton with special relativity.
More definitions of Newtonian mechanicsDefinition of Newtonian mechanics in:
- The US English dictionary