Definition of Nguni in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a group of peoples living mainly in southern Africa.
- Southern tribes include the Tsonga, the Karanga, the Chopi, the Shona, and the Nguni.
- About three-quarters of the clan groups are Nguni; the remainder are Sotho and Tsonga.
- An additional 24 African DNA samples (from the Nguni, Sotho-Tswanga, and Tsonga groups of South Africa) were provided by H. Soodyall.
2 [mass noun] The group of closely related Bantu languages, including Xhosa, Zulu, Swazi, and Ndebele, spoken by the Nguni.
- The population of South Africa is made up of the indigenous inhabitants who speak two major Bantu languages, Nguni and Sotho, and European settlers, consisting mainly of Dutch and English.
- Outside in the garden is a peace pole, a two-metre high cement pole with four messages on each edge, in four different languages: Nguni, English, Sotho and Chinese.
- The two guys also file their stories in vernacular, i.e. Nguni as well as in SeSotho.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nguni or their languages.
- We are supposed to sing this insulting hymn of surrender in FOUR languages - two Nguni languages, Afrikaans and English - and no other country I can think of, or any you could tell me of, has sunk so low!
- Zambia was settled by Nguni people in flight from Zululand in 1835, but was also subject throughout much of the 19th century to Arab slave-traders.
- Black Umfolosi exemplifies the mbubu tradition of Nguni vocals and harmony sung a cappella.
Words that rhyme with Ngunicartoony, lacunae, loony, Moonie, moony, puny, Rooney, spoony, uni
Definition of Nguni in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.