(also Nivôse /nivoz/)
- The fourth month of the French Republican calendar (1793–1805), originally running from 21 December to 19 January.More example sentences
- Out went the old months - January to December - and in came Vendémiaire, Brumaire, Frimaire, Nivôse, Pluviôse, Ventôse, Germinal, Floréal, Prairial, Messidor, Thermidor and Fructidor.
- It was to be approved by plebiscite, and for the revolutionary month of Nivôse (21 December 1799-20 January 1800) registers were open in every commune for citizens to record their approval or opposition.
- Today is Quartidi, the 4th of Nivose, Year 211.
French Nivôse, from Latin nivosus 'snowy', from nix, niv- 'snow'.
More definitions of NivoseDefinition of Nivose in:
- The US English dictionary