noun[mass noun] • trademark
- A contraceptive for women consisting of small rods implanted under the skin which gradually release the hormone levonorgestrel over a number of years.More example sentences
- The five-year contraceptive implant Norplant also can affect mood, although hormone levels tend to return to normal soon after the rods are surgically removed.
- At present there are only two types of contraceptive implant used in the UK, Norplant and Implanon.
- Conversely, the progestin-only ring acts similar to Norplant, but may only last for 1 or 2 years.
1980s: from (levo)nor(gestrel) (im)plant.
More definitions of NorplantDefinition of Norplant in:
- The US English dictionary