Definition of Nuba in English:
noun (plural same or Nubas)
A member of a Nilotic people inhabiting southern Kordofan in Sudan.
- Taking the ethnic perspective further, the Nuba of Sudan found little beauty in the appearance of the English anthropologist James Faris; he had a beard, hair on his arms, and white skin.
- Garang has therefore recruited from exploited non-Arab communities on the fringes of northern Sudan, such as the Nuba, and the string of peoples along the Blue Nile valley close to Ethiopia.
- In the 1960s Riefenstahl began making trips to Africa, and in 1973 she published a photographic essay about a tribe in the Sudan, The Last of the Nuba.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nuba.
- Like her inclusion of Jesse Owens's feats in Olympia, Riefenstahl's Nuba fixation is often taken as evidence of her disaffection with Nazi politics.
- I recently spoke to Nuba warriors here about their struggle and asked them what they thought of the peace agreement.
- The Nuba Mountains are not in the war zone in the south where most of the civil war fighting is taking place but some Nuba people have joined the SPLA and have fought against government forces.
From Latin Nubae 'Nubians'.
Words that rhyme with NubaAruba, Cuba, scuba, tuba, tuber
Definition of Nuba in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan